this.toJSONString returns a JSON string, a well-formatted json string.

"the_whole_json_stuff" was just my way of  asking to actually how to get
the deserialize the whole json string without actually specifying a node in
the string like:

xstream.alias("product", Product.class);

So how do you deserialize a JSON string with XStream?