Hi Uwe,

u...@codesmell.de wrote:

> Hi
>
> i am trying to use the DataHolder interface to record information on
> marshalling and add info on unmarshalling using a custom converter.
>
> while this works if i use XStream.marshall/unmarshall methods, i get
> NPEs if i use fromXML/toXML on the same xstream instance.
>
> i *thought* (that might be my misconception) that newDataHolder() was
> called during toXML to create an initial DataHolder to be passed to the
> converters.
>
> according to my eclipse and my debug-output, XStream.newDataHolder is
> never called.
> Am i right and this is a bug, or what do i miss ?
>
> is there another way of getting grips of the DataHolder being used on
> unmarshalling, so that i can provider the info to it which is needed by
> my converter?
>
> XStream version is 1.4.5/6

I am not sure, what you really want to do. The DataHolder that is used by
default is created for every call to marshal/unmarshal so that the
converters may communicate within one (un)marshalling process.

If you provide a DataHolder yourself, you define how long this data is kept.

XStream.newDataHolder is a convenience method for *you* to provide an own
one, XStream does not call it.

Cheers,
Jörg