Hi Geoff,

sorry for being silent, but we're busy getting several projects out of the
Haus before it shuts down.

Geoff Groos wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> So I whipped together this quick patch:
> https://github.com/Groostav/XStream-GG/pull/1
>
> I think I'd like to modify it to remove the `Context` object --its too big
> a klooge to have the configuration need to know if the caller is
> Unmarshalling or Marshalling. I'll get around to that today.
>
> let me know what you think.

I had a short look at the diffs. Actually they should not contain any cruft
(.class files, ...).

For the implementation: I would have used the Mapper interface also as
"entry" point. However, you may not modify a method, you have to add a new
one instead (resp. overload a method) to keep binary compatibility. The
master branch is already for XStream 1.5.x with a minimum requirement of
Java 6.

However, I assume, you're interested in getting this into the 1.4.x branch
(Java 1.4.x compatible). Therefore you cannot use a Java enum at all, we
cannot backport it. Basically all you need is a boolean flag for the
immutable types that do not support references at all. We have no intentions
to support multiple modes here, it's just a compatibility helper.

Thanks for your effort so far,
Jörg