I have a java ActiveMQ broker that marshalls various types of messages,
including ObjectMessages.

I have a C++ client that wants to consume TextMessages and simply ignore the
ObjectMessages. The C++ app receives null messages for each ObjectMessage
which isn't a problem.  However, when using Openwire, the connector tries to
acknowledge the null message and throws an OpenwireConnectionException (see
line 973 of OpenWireConnector::acknowledge from release 2.0).

It looks like this problem won't occur using Stomp unless the acknowledge
mode is set to CLIENT_ACKNOWLEDGE.