So, "technically" timeouts are supported for TCP Transports.  Here are the
URI configuration parameters:
http://activemq.apache.org/tcp-transport-reference.html
http://activemq.apache.org/tcp-transport-reference.html

And, if one uses the standard TCP URL of tcp://localhost:61616 and ActiveMQ
is not running, one (correctly and immediately) gets a JMSException (caused
by a ConnectionException) with the reason being that the connection is
refused.

However, in debugging, I noticed that if one uses the DEFAULT connection
URL, these parameters are ignored and the default TCP URL of
tcp://localhost:61616 is actually failover://tcp://localhost:61616.

It's not obvious to me yet what the significance of the failover protocol
actually means, but I'm still digging.