Thanks for the response Bruce.  :)

To my knowledge we aren't using a connection pooler.  We're just configuring
the activemq xml and letting activeMQ do its thing.  One of my colleagues
mentioned SNAC since we are using Sql Server, not sure if that is similar to
a connection pooler or not.

In our scenario during a Sql Server failover it may take 15 minutes.  We
aren't using a high availability cluster.  Does a connection pooler give the
capability of dealing with this so that ActiveMQ doesn't shutdown?