I understand everything you are saying, and I believe I could deal with this
if I had the time.  Unfortunately, I don't, so I just coded around it.  I
removed the failover transport so send will just error,  I created my own
manual reconnect method which bascially creates a whole new producer and
gets called when a send fails, and I'm using my own database flags for each
consumer to indicate if a message was successfully sent.

2 things:

1) I know you are saying that it is not ActiveMQ's choice, but I think it's
silly that using the Persistent delivery mode does not persist messages when
a send fails due to a server crash.

2) I still don't see why send wouldn't fail and store the message when using
the failover transport.  It just waits forever.  When I used the fanout
transport, it acted as expected except bringing the server back up processed
all messages instead of just missed ones.  But the failover transport
doesn't save any messages.

Regardless,  I do not have any more time to work on this and I've coded
around it for my current needs, so you can close this case.