Hi all,

I'm having throughput issues on ActiveMQ 5.2 and was hoping for some tips to
improve performance. We're sending out messages on a topic at an average
rate of around 150/sec. The messages are object messages that vary in size,
but range up to 5 kilobytes. We're using a network of brokers between two
sites, with all the producers in one site and the consumers in the other.
We're seeing memory fill up on the producing site broker and the "messages
received" falling behind "messages sent", implying that we're not able to
send them over to the receiving side broker quickly enough. These messages
don't need guaranteed delivery, so we're not using transactions or durable
subscriptions.

I set up a test between the two sites using the ActiveMQ Performance Module.
I'm using a stock ActiveMQ 5.2 and the ActiveMQ Performance Module from the
latest SVN. I'm running ActiveMQ on a server in site 1. If I run the
producer and consumer on another server in site 1, I get a system average
throughput of 5184. If I run the same test, except with the client on a
similarly configured server in site 2, I get a throughput of 112.

The transfer rate between the two servers is upwards of 3 MB/s, so I assume
it isn't a bandwidth limitation. The latency between the two sites (measured
using ping) is 90ms. Why would latency have such a large effect on my
message throughput rate? Are there any settings I could change that would
help my performance?

Thanks,
Nick Kleinschmidt