FWIW, I have gotten throughput rates of ~3000 msg/s under the following
conditions.

Used persistent messages, default msg store, message size = 1k, queues, and
producer had jms.useAsyncSend=true

Broker ran on an openSUSE 11.0 laptop (2GB memory, Intel Core 2 Duo T5550,
1.83 GHz, JDK 1.6)  and didn't compete with much of anything else on that
machine.  Broker cpu utilization was ~30%.

Producer and consumer ran on their own Windoze XP machines as follows:

producer:       Windows XP Pro SP2, 2GB memory, Pentium 4, 3.0GHz, JDK 1.5
consumer:       Windows XP Pro SP2, 2GB memory, Intel Core 2 Duo T7500, 2.0 GHz,
JDK 1.5

Joe
http://www.ttmsolutions.com