On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Jim Lloyd <jll...@silvertailsystems.com> wrote:
> I'm in the process of building a network of brokers in which some of the
> links are geographically distributed. These links will use the SSL transport
> for reasons of security, but we also want to use compression to minimize
> bandwidth usage over the WAN links. I've searched the available
> documentation and so far haven't found a definitive source that tells
> whether the SSL Transport uses rfc3749 compression or not. Can anyone here
> give me a definitive answer? If it is supported, which configuration options
> are required?

Not only is TLS compression is not supported in ActiveMQ, but I don't
think it's supported in Java yet. Do you know of an implementation?

> It also appears that there is an option to use message level compression. If
> compression is available on the SSL transport stream, I expect we would want
> to ensure that message compression is turned off to allow the transport
> level compression to have more context. The only documentation I have found
> for this was for ActiveMQ 3, which implies that doMessageCompression
> is trueby default. Is that still the default with ActiveMQ 5?

Message level compression can be enabled on a ConnectionFactory or a
Connection via the useCompression property. See also the
useCompression option on the URI:

http://activemq.apache.org/connection-configuration-uri.html

Bruce
--