I tried what you said, but it didn't solve the issue. Here are the steps
again:

- I started activemq
- created a brand new topic and a durable subscriber on it, I did both of
those actions using the admin console gui on localhost:8161
- put some "persistent" messages on the topic using the admin gui again. At
this point, I can verify the "No. of consumers" to be 1 and the "Messages
Enqueued" as 1 and "Message Dequeued" as 0.
- restart the activemq using the command line tool, activemq-admin.bat stop
for stopping, followed by activemq.bat for starting
- The message on the topic are lost, again!!

In this exercise, I am not running any java programs or anything. Purely
using the admin console. Let me know what am I doing wrong. I worked on
WebsphereMQ quite a bit in the past and the same sscenario would keep the
messages there.

Thanks.