Just had a peek at the code[1], you need to add
updateClusterClientsOnRemove="true" to your transport connector.

It looks like the cluster info is not aware of the broker failure
(node removal) and as a result does not update then it joins again.

org.apache.activemq.broker.region.RegionBroker#removeBrokerInClusterUpdate
[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/activemq/trunk/activemq-core/src/main/java/org/apache/activemq/broker/region/RegionBroker.java?view=markup

--
http://blog.garytully.com