so that is not expected. Have a peek over one of the message priority
test cases to see if there is something different from your scenario,
you need to enable priority support on a destination for example.

Also note that kahaDB supports three priority levels, and the jdbc store 0-9.
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/activemq/trunk/activemq-core/src/test/java/org/apache/activemq/store/MessagePriorityTest.java?view=markup