thanks. I read your blog. But I am running hawtio on tomcat. I want to
monitor remote instance of activemq using hawtio.

So i though of stating jolokia with activemq assuming its not running. But
i think java doesnt support that or I dont know whats going on.

here is what I was doing:

/opt/gwx/apache-activemq-5.8.0/jdk1.7.0_25/bin/java
-javaagent:jolokia-jvm-1.1.3-agent.jar=port=7779,host=localhost -Xms1G
-Xmx1G -Djava.util.logging.config.file=logging.properties
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=8100
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.password.file=/opt/gwx/apache-activemq-5.8.0/activemq_8100/conf/jmx.password
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.access.file=/opt/gwx/apache-activemq-5.8.0/activemq_8100/conf/jmx.access
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
-Djava.io.tmpdir=/opt/gwx/apache-activemq-5.8.0/activemq_8100/tmp
-Dactivemq.classpath=/opt/gwx/apache-activemq-5.8.0/activemq_8100/conf;
-Dactivemq.home=/opt/gwx/apache-activemq-5.8.0
-Dactivemq.base=/opt/gwx/apache-activemq-5.8.0/activemq_8100
-Dactivemq.conf=/opt/gwx/apache-activemq-5.8.0/activemq_8100/conf
-Dactivemq.data=/opt/gwx/apache-activemq-5.8.0/activemq_8100/data  -jar
/opt/gwx/apache-activemq-5.8.0/bin/activemq.jar start
-Dactivemq.data=/opt/gwx/activemqdata -DopenwirePort=61616 -DamqpPort=5600
-DrmiPort=8100

it starts jolokia but then doesnt recognize rest of the command. and print
java help options

output:

INFO: No access restrictor found, access to all MBean is allowed
Jolokia: Agent started with URL http://localhost:7779/jolokia/
Usage: java [-options] class [args...]
           (to execute a class)
   or  java [-options] -jar jarfile [args...]
           (to execute a jar file)
where options include:
    -d32          use a 32-bit data model if available
    -d64          use a 64-bit data model if available
    -server       to select the "server" VM
                  The default VM is server,
                  because you are running on a server-class machine.

    -cp <class search path of directories and zip/jar files>
    -classpath <class search path of directories and zip/jar files>
                  A : separated list of directories, JAR archives,
                  and ZIP archives to search for class files.
    -D<name>=<value>
                  set a system property
    -verbose:[class|gc|jni]
                  enable verbose output
    -version      print product version and exit
    -version:<value>
                  require the specified version to run
    -showversion  print product version and continue
    -jre-restrict-search | -no-jre-restrict-search
                  include/exclude user private JREs in the version search
    -? -help      print this help message
    -X            print help on non-standard options
    -ea[:<packagename>...|:<classname>]
    -enableassertions[:<packagename>...|:<classname>]
                  enable assertions with specified granularity
    -da[:<packagename>...|:<classname>]
    -disableassertions[:<packagename>...|:<classname>]
                  disable assertions with specified granularity
    -esa | -enablesystemassertions
                  enable system assertions
    -dsa | -disablesystemassertions
                  disable system assertions
    -agentlib:<libname>[=<options>]
                  load native agent library <libname>, e.g. -agentlib:hprof
                  see also, -agentlib:jdwp=help and -agentlib:hprof=help
    -agentpath:<pathname>[=<options>]
                  load native agent library by full pathname
    -javaagent:<jarpath>[=<options>]
                  load Java programming language agent, see
java.lang.instrument
    -splash:<imagepath>
                  show splash screen with specified image
See http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/documentation/index.htmlfor
more details.
-bash: -Dactivemq.home=/opt/gwx/apache-activemq-5.8.0: No such file or
directory

and if I takeout
"-javaagent:jolokia-jvm-1.1.3-agent.jar=port=7779,host=localhost" from
above command it works fine.

it seems i am doing something wrong but not sure. any help would be helpful.

thanks,
chirag