there has been a bunch of work in that area for 5.10 so my first
suggestion is to give a 5.10-SNAPSHOT a whirl. If that shows the same
behaviour we can get on the job of sorting out what the problem is.
A fresh snapshot was minted today -
http://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/5.10-SNAPSHOT/apache-activemq-5.10-20140325.181704-38-bin.tar.gz

--
http://redhat.com