Dont forget there are two heaps.  This video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLcXf9pO27w
 really explains it well.

 Also, unless you want to totally manage garbage collection, letting the JVM
decide the best fit is generally better.

I run using these, your mileage may vary. (ps: If you want 1 gig, just say
1G)

 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=3 -XX:SurvivorRatio=24 -XX:+UseTLAB
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -XX:+UseParNewGC
-XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=50m -Xms512m -Xmx1G -Xss128k

I realize the G1 collector you are using may obviate some of my params, but
not all.

hth..