Art,

Sure, as currently implemented, non-durable topic subscriptions have that
issue.  What I'm saying is that to do a seamless transition from one broker
to another, features would need to be built into the broker to transition
the broker's state from the old broker to the new one.  This would need to
include topic subscriptions (durable and not), pending messages on all
destinations, scheduled messages, etc.  And there would need to be a change
to allow a non-durable subscriber to disconnect from the old broker without
unsubscribing the consumer and to resume that subscription once the
connection is made to the new broker (and obviously this would have to be
implemented so that it only behaves that way when that subscription is in
transition and no at other time).

But I disagree that the right solution is to implement something outside
the broker; in fact, I disagree that it's even possible to implement a full
solution outside the broker as the broker is currently implemented.  At
best you'll get a partial solution where some things will work and some
(like non-durable topic subscriptions) won't.  To get it right, this needs
to be a feature baked into the broker -- or at a minimum, certain changes
need to be baked into the broker's API so they could be called by an
external solution, if that's how we choose to do it.

And to your point about network issues, you're absolutely right, but the
client-broker interface should work correctly when there are no network
issues (and replacing a broker during an upgrade is not a network issue,
it's an entirely-predictable maintenance activity that ActiveMQ currently
does nothing to support).

Tim