kevin - peek at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-5578 it
gives a big win in terms of OS system work per journal write, it is
however kahadb focused at the moment.

To drive the disk, the more parallel work that the brokers can
introduce the better. In other words, to get max throughput, you can
increase the num of parallel jms connections per destination, the the
number of destinations per broker, then the number of brokers. At each
stage track peek throughput till it starts to drop off before
introducing the next level of parallelism.

A broker will try and batch writes but it needs parallel connections
and or destinations to do that.

With SSD, write performance may not be the bottleneck, but working
through a process like the above will identify what is.