Also, I was thinking that this MIGHT be a bug with unfair scheduling.

synchronized and read/write locks aren’t fair.

So it’s entirely possible that the client is scheduling work on on faster
queue because they reply quicker and thus they win the lock race.

This would explain why I can read from the queue server from a dedicated
process, but my main worker daemon, which is rather loaded can’t process
any more work.

My boxes aren’t loaded THAT bad.  Maybe about 50% CPU 24/7.. but it’s a lot
of activemq work. So it’s entirely possible that the client is continually
losing a race working with the larger queues.