If anything, you want smaller files not bigger ones, because you're hoping
for a situation where for a given file, all of the messages in the file
have their acks in the same file.  If that happens (and it's pure luck of
the draw), you break the chain of having to keep newer files because they
ack messages in older files, and you'll then be able to delete the later
files once all their messages are consumed.  The more boundaries between
files there are, the more places where you have a shot at that happening,
so more smaller files increases your odds (but never guarantees anything).

But you're right that all of the above doesn't sound like a solution to
your problem, because it sounds like it's your txlog that's your problem,
not the KahaDB journal files.

Unfortunately I know nothing at all about those files (I've never used
transactions with ActiveMQ), but I know others on here have and hopefully
one of them will have some advice to give.