Do you have a procedure that will reliably reproduce both problems you
describe (negative consumer counts and non-delivery of messages) each time
you run it?

Have you used a JMX viewer such as JConsole to examine the subscriptions on
each destination both when the broker is in a good state and when you're
seeing incorrect behavior?  Can you please describe for us what you see in
both cases?