Hi Clebert,
good to know it.
But, just to be clear, I have the same problem also with persistence enabled
(indeed, it's even worse).
Regardless of the persistence, the behavior is the same: after a certain
window of usage, ram fills and the broker starts to work constantly in
paging mode (cpu --> 100%), becoming almost unusable.
- If persistence is disabled, I can restart the broker and it comes back to
work fast (ram is free) ..but the problem, of course, is only postponed for
another window of usage (currently about 10 days, for my use case).
- If persistence is enabled, I can restart the broker, but it starts to
retrieve all stored messages from disk, ram fills quickly again, it returns
to work in paging mode and cpu goes to 100%. Therefore I'm pratically
obliged to disable persistence.

Could it be something related to a misconfiguration of my broker instance? I
notice also that all messages witha QoS > 0 (regardless whether retained or
not) have the property durable=true: does this mean that all those messages
will persist in memory forever? There is no one else who is facing the same
issue by using Artemis as mqtt broker?

Following is my "address-settings" configuration section within broker.xml
file. It's the only one that I changed in the standard configuration (apart
the acceptor for mqtt of course). Hope can help:

*      <address-settings>

         <address-setting match="#">
            <dead-letter-address>jms.queue.DLQ</dead-letter-address>
            <expiry-address>jms.queue.ExpiryQueue</expiry-address>
            <redelivery-delay>0</redelivery-delay>

            <max-size-bytes>-1</max-size-bytes>

<message-counter-history-day-limit>10</message-counter-history-day-limit>
            <address-full-policy>PAGE</address-full-policy>
            <last-value-queue>true</last-value-queue>
         </address-setting>
      </address-settings>*

Francesco