I actually thought about a self contained test, that we can use to
debug at our dev environment.

Putting something complex to be executed over the AWS wouldn't help
much. We would still need to figure out your whole app framework.

Why don't you use some of the examples infra-structure to create such
thing? if you want to do an UnitTest on the integration testsuite..
it's even better.