1a) The default name for the dead letter queue is DLQ. You can use the web
console (http://activemq.apache.org/web-console.html) to view the queues
the broker has. Note that ActiveMQ will automatically create a destination
when the first message is published into it, so if it doesn't exist then it
just means that there hasn't yet been a message moved to the DLQ.

1b) The link Tim Bish provided contains instructions for telling which
destinations are causing your KahaDB log files to be held. If the DLQ had
old messages, it's likely that you would see that queue in the output of
that command, telling you that those old DLQ messages were keeping log
files from being deleted.

2) db.data is the index. It won't shrink when messages are deleted, but it
should stop growing once the broker reaches its max size. So it may not
stay small per se (depending on your definition of small), but it should
not grow unbounded. The comments on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/AMQ-3736 may be
useful for understanding the expected behavior of the index file.

Tim