I'm not sure what you mean by appealing...

Did you look into artemis at least?

http://activemq.apache.org/artemis/

We have been working quite hard to make it a great broker beyond any
sort of hypes... it's a solid codebase and being proof to be high
performant.

The AMQP protocol has been greatly improved on this last 2 releases..
2.0 and mainly 2.1....

we have been doing a lot of activities on the codebase... just look at
the github activities for how much activity you would find it:

https://github.com/apache/activemq-artemis/graphs/contributors

However, if you are looking for the hyper and cool...we can only
guarantee the quality of the code and do our daily work to make it
better...

Have a nice and good luck anyways.