I don't see what's materially different between the two approaches (both
involve making two copies of the relevant files and changing them as
needed, but one just involves copying more files than is strictly
necessary), but yes, I believe that the approach you want to take will
work, and that you can use the same approach that's described in the
tutorials you say you've found. (Caveat: I've never run anything out of the
4.x version family, so it's possible that it won't work for some reason I'm
not aware of.)

You don't have to (and wouldn't want to, for what you're trying to do) use
a .activemqrc file to configure the different instances; you'd want to use
an env file as described in
http://activemq.apache.org/unix-shell-script.html. That would let you use
different ports for the different instances.

Also, I'm curious: if you're going to spend the time upgrading to a recent
version instead of 4.1.2 (I can't believe you're actually running that old
of a version), why would you pick a version that's still fairly old (5.8.0)
instead of one of the current releases (5.13.x or 5.14.x)?

Tim