@Michael Pearce: The native module on Artemis is totally rewritten...
hornetq libaio used a lot of malloc. Artemis is only calling malloc
once and reusing them on a pool... a lot less locking happening...
just the libaio is better..

For instance.. an issue that you had with 512 bytes blocks recently..
it wouldn't even be possible to be fixed with hornetq.

I don't have number with specj.. but I remember one microbenchmark I
had got 30% better with Artemis after the native update.. just by
itself...

ActiveMQ Artemis is getting further and further away from hornetq.
it's evolving nicely IMO.