We managed to reproduce our message size change problem with simple java
programs (see  QueueReader.java
<http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/file/n4728024/QueueReader.java>   and
QueueWriter.java
<http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/file/n4728024/QueueWriter.java>  )
based on your QueueExample.

One of them sends a binary message (array of bytes), another one reads this
message.
The pom.xml files were changed so that the Artemis server is not started.
We ran a standalone Artemis 2.1 server.

The test programs were built with different Artemis versions, 1.5.5 and 2.1.

When the sender is 1.5.5 and the receiver is 2.1, the message read back is
always 4 bytes longer, garbage bytes are added to it.

When the sender is 2.1 and the receiver is 1.5.5, the message read back is
always 4 bytes shorter, the last 4 bytes are lost.

When both programs are built with the same version of Artemis, does not
matter which, the read back message is correct.

Besides, if we send a text message, it is read back correctly.