So I had a look at qpid-dispatch, but it doesn't seem to solve our problem.
Unless I'm misunderstanding, the way it works is that a client
(consumer/producer) connects to the router, which then links it to another
endpoint – a queue inside a broker, or producer/consumer. In our scenario we
want something that independently forwards messages between queues in
different brokers.

Here's an illustration:

<http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/file/n4729171/Corda_Messaging.png>

A client connects to the broker, posts a message to the "outgoing" queue and
waits for a response on the "incoming" queue. The message then gets
forwarded to an "incoming" queue on another broker, where it gets processed
by the recipient. A response is sent back the same way. The blue lines
currently represent Core bridges.

What we want to achieve is have a bridging mechanism that works over AMQP,
so e.g. Broker 1 could be Artemis and Broker 2, say, Qpid. It may well be
that JMS bridges is the best solution here, but the docs mention that it's
less performant (are there any rough perf metrics for Core vs JMS bridges?),
so I was wondering how difficult it would be to build a custom Core -> AMQP
bridge (even if it only works one way in this case).

Our second concern is backwards-compatibility, and having all communication
done via AMQP solves that. Are there any backwards-compatibility guarantees
for the Core protocol?

Thanks again for your help!