When the broker was first developed it only supported the core protocol.
The client/server would exchange objects which
implement org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.protocol.core.Packet.
Interceptors would intercept packet implementations.  That terminology has
stuck when referring to other protocols even though those protocols don't
use core packets.

Hope that helps...

Justin