You're right and I was wrong: it is indeed possible to browse a topic. I
learned something new today; thanks.

It looks to me like your problem may be that you don't have the right
ObjectName. What you wrote appears to be for the broker, not for the topic.
I'd expect something more like this:

ObjectName topicViewMBeanName = new
ObjectName("org.apache.activemq:type=Broker,brokerName=localhost,destinationType=Topic,destinationName="
+ name);