Using JDBC you can get both.

<persistenceAdapter>
    <kahaDB directory="target/activemq-data" lockKeepAlivePeriod="5000">
        <locker>
            <!-- When used with the KahaDB persistence adapter the 'dataSource'
attribute must be defined on the locker itself: -->
            <lease-database-locker lockAcquireSleepInterval="10000"
dataSource="#mysql-ds">
                <statements>
                    <!-- Default locker attributes and SQL statements may be
overridden here
                         using one or more <statements
attribute_or_statement="value"/> entries: -->
                    <statements lockTableName="activemq_lock"/>
                </statements>
            </lease-database-locker>
        </locker>
    </kahaDB>