We've performed extensive testing with virtual destinations on 5.11 network
of brokers, it works well with two exceptions:

#1 - subscription durability when consumers go offline,

#2 - producers publishing before consumers register their subscription

We manage to get around #1 by configuring producers to publish messages
using PERSISTENT delivery mode, then we disabled cleanup of inactive virtual
queues using wildcard destination policies. Now, when consumer who
previously created a virtual queue subscription go offline, newly-published
messages are retained on those queues until they are consumed, or expire;
that's good.

But #2 has proved challenging; we thought about using retroactive recovery
policies, but after reading the documentation we discovered it's not
reliable in broker networks. We're not sure how to proceed; unless there's a
way to retain messages in memory, or on disk, reliably for short periods of
time (basically recovery policy) and for an unknown number of durable
consumers, I suspect there is no solution to this problem.