If you're going to take that approach (and it's as reasonable as any I know
of), you'll probably want to statically configure the network connector so
that flowing messages happens even if there are no consumers for a given
destination. Either that, or be prepared to leave the broker up for as long
as it takes for all consumers to be active somewhere in the network.

Also, if you're using scheduled messages, this approach won't handle them,
so you'll need to do something manual to handle them.

Unfortunately there is no current management capability built into ActiveMQ
5.x that facilitates the process of moving clients and messages off of a
broker. Maybe such a thing will get built in Artemis.

Tim