> If have 3 live servers running in one cluster which do load balancing,
HA, etc. Do I really need backup servers? If one is down, I suspect the two
others to take over message processing...

The issue here is that HA isn't provided between live servers. HA only
works between live and backup servers. Therefore, if you want HA you'll
want to configure backups.

Read through the HA documentation [1] and/or check out the HA examples [2]
for more details.

Justin

[1] https://activemq.apache.org/artemis/docs/latest/ha.html
[2]