> Would it be desirable for Artemis to support this functionality in the
future though, i.e. if we raised it as a feature request?

All things being equal I'd say probably so, but I suspect the effort to
implement the feature might outweigh the benefits.

> The cloud can manage spinning up another node, but the problem is
telling/getting the Artemis cluster to make that server the master now.

The way I imagine it would work best is without any slave at all.  The
whole point of the slave is to take over quickly from a live broker that
has failed in such a way that all the data from the failed broker is still
available to clients.  Maybe I'm wrong about clouds, but I believe the
cloud itself can provide this functionality by quickly spinning up a new
broker when one fails.  So, you would have 3 live brokers in a cluster each
with a separate storage node.  There wouldn't be any slaves at all.  When
one of those brokers fails the cloud will spin up another to replace it and
re-attach to the storage node so that any reconnecting client has access to
all the data as before just like it would on a slave.  Or is that not how
clouds work?

Justin