In a non-automated use-case I'd recommend an administrator take a look at
each of the brokers' log files to see which one had been active most
recently and then restart that broker first (and if that server happened to
be a slave its configuration would need to be changed to be a master so it
would fully start rather than just wait for its corresponding master). If
your environment is automated then you'll have to develop some kind of
process to approximate what an administrator would do.

That said, in a fully automated environment a master/slave pair may not
make much sense. Presumably the automation could simply restart the master
broker when it dies and clients can simply reconnect. Combined with a
redundant, robust file store this is a viable solution for high
availability.

Justin