On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 1:49 PM Dirkjan Ochtman <dirk...@ochtman.nl> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 1:27 PM Dirkjan Ochtman <dirk...@ochtman.nl> wrote:
>
>> However, this took some time to debug because of a particular change that
>> I hadn't expected: it appears that the JMSReplyTo property now gets
>> prefixed with "queue://" for AMQP messages (but not for Core messages).
>> This seems fairly surprising -- the server product I'm working with failed
>> to work correctly because this reply to address doesn't match the
>> BINDING_ADDED notification's `name`. Is this intended behavior?
>>

> Actually, I spoke too soon. After stripping the weird "queue://" prefix
> and decoding the returned message, it turns out to contain the message
> "Conversion to AMQP error!". The ignored exception that triggers this is an
> IndexOutOfBoundsException with detailMessage "Error reading in
> simpleString, length=1869767777 is greater than readableBytes=9200", so it
> seems that there is still a similar problem

It seems the issue here is that the CoreAmqpConverter wants to encode
messages as a string value body by default. This seems like a surprising
default to me, but it was easily worked around by setting the ClientMessage
type to BYTES_TYPE.

> (also, it might be nice to splice the exception message in the AMQP
> response directly).

Created https://github.com/apache/activemq-artemis/pull/3060 for this.

Kind regards,

Dirkjan