You're right, I re-read the log and you did provide the broker logs. Sorry
for the confusion.

I assume the client logs show something similar for the root cause (even
though it'll be a different stack trace)?

Unfortunately I don't have any experience configuring or troubleshooting
HAProxy. I recommend you post a question asking about the HAProxy aspect of
the problem (including logs from HAProxy) to StackOverflow or
https://discourse.haproxy.org/ to ask for help from people who do know it.
If that turns up anything ActiveMQ-related, you can of course come back to
this thread to ask about it.

Good luck, and sorry that I don't have experience with HAProxy to be able
to help further.

Tim