First off, what version of ActiveMQ Artemis are you using?

Do you have auto-delete-addresses = true? If so, addresses *should* be
deleted automatically when they have no more bindings. The wildcard itself
is a binding so that's probably why the address isn't removed.

I think using a single topic with selectors on the subscriptions is a
viable alternative. There shouldn't be any performance penalty and the
semantics should be exactly what you're looking for.

Justin