I don't think it's possible to know whether or not that was a conscious
decision based on the available evidence. If it was, I would have expected
a mention of it in the documentation, the commit log, or a code comment. I
think the only conclusive data would be input from the original author
(i.e. Martyn Taylor).

Aside from that, I'm not sure what you mean by "rewriteBatchedStatements is
not JDBC conformant." I didn't see any mention of that detail in the linked
documentation. It seems odd that the MySQL developers would put something
which is "not JDBC conformant" in a JDBC driver. Can you clarify?

Justin