I'm not a Netty expert by any means, but I would start in
org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.remoting.impl.netty.NettyAcceptor. That's
where most of the Netty pipeline is configured, and it's also where the
main
org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.protocol.ProtocolHandler.ProtocolDecoder
is added.

Justin