To be precise, there is no such thing as a "topic" in ActiveMQ Artemis. The
address model [1] consists of three basic elements - address, queue, and
routing type. You can read about how a JMS topic maps onto these elements
in the documentation [2].

Regarding when messages are dropped, what JB said is true. If there are no
subscribers then messages are not routed anywhere and are dropped. If there
are subscribers then messages are routed to the corresponding queue for
that subscription and they remain there until the message is acknowledged
or the subscription is destroyed. If you are seeing instance of
org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server.impl.QueueImpl in your heap dump
whose messagesAcknowledged values are 0 then that means that either there
is no consumer on the queue (e.g. a JMS durable subscription was created
but the subscriber is not currently connected) or a consumer is connected
but it isn't properly acknowledging the messages that it is receiving.

I recommend you investigate what's going on with your consumer(s) and
potentially configure a more conservative value for paging [3].

Justin

[1]
https://activemq.apache.org/components/artemis/documentation/latest/address-model.html#address-model
[2]