> As far as we can tell the attribute is ignored and messages with the same
group-id move from one consumer to the other.

What observations are you making that lead you to this conclusion? Please
be specific.

> Now I have read in the release notes for ActiveMQ 6.1 that issue
ENTMQ-261 has been resolved which seems to be about just this use case.

ENTMQ-261 [1] is not from the official Apache Jira project for ActiveMQ
Artemis [2]. It appears to be from a Red Hat issue tracker for their
product based on ActiveMQ Classic. It is not connected to the release of
Apache ActiveMQ Classic 6.1, and I can find no mention of ENTMQ-261 in the
release notes for ActiveMQ Classic 6.1.

> ...can we conclude that our Artemis 2.16 version might be suffering from
the same problem?

ActiveMQ Artemis is based on the HornetQ code-base which was donated to
Apache ActiveMQ almost 10 years ago now. If you read the description on
ENTMQ-261 you'll see that grouping was working as expected in HornetQ so I
expect it would still be working ActiveMQ Artemis unless there's been some
kind of regression that we're not aware of.

> And finally: is there a workaround to get message grouping working in our
current setup?

It's hard to say since the exact nature of the problem is still unclear.

At the very least I would recommend upgrading WildFly so you're on a later
release of ActiveMQ Artemis. Version 2.16.0 was released in late 2020
almost 4 years ago now. Lots of bugs have been fixed since then. Even if
the problem you're seeing is a bug there won't be a bug-fix release for
2.16.0. You'd need to upgrade to the latest version to get it. That said,
I'm still not sure this is actually a bug.

Justin

[1] https://issues.redhat.com/browse/ENTMQ-261
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARTEMIS