I'd advise putting the mirror with mirrorOf * back in, to prevent any
access to external repos.  In addition to that, put another mirror for
your snapshots repo.  The * is a catch-all.  If another mirror
matches, that will be used instead.

Another way to reduce configuration is to create a repository group (I
usually call mine 'all') and add all your repos to it.  Then you can
use that single (virtual) repository as a mirror for everything.

[1] http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-mirror-settings.html

--
Wendy