I just upgraded from 1.3.1 to 1.3.4 when this problem started to occur.
Before it worked through the web interface and using the ant task from ivy.
Now neither generate the maven-metadata.xml file.
I thought the repository scanner would try to fix create the
maven-metadata.xml, but it does not either (metadata-updater is enabled).