I was contrasting the behavior to prove the scan did indeed hit the
artifacts folder but did not create the maven-metadata.xml file. I did try
to manually place the maven-metadata.xml in the artifacts folder but a scan
did not update that file either. So to summarize:

(Check box to create maven metadata file is checked on the server)
Scan to update maven-metadata.xml file - results FAIL
Scan to create maven-metadata.xml file - result FAIL
Publish using IVY ant task did not create maven-metadata.xml.
Publish through archiva's web interface did not create maven-metadata.xml.

The server is running on a windows machine. This is an upgraded server from
1.3.1 upgrade process was to copy the conf and data folder onto the new
version.

Thanks
nz