Please ignore this particular error.  I had been fiddling with the
security.properties and had set:

security.policy.password.previous.count=0

causing the DefaultUserSecurityPolicy.java:lines[327-329] to attempt
getting the subList() from 0 to -1 when previousPasswordsCount is 0:

            int oldCount = Math.min( *previousPasswordsCount - 1*,
user.getPreviousEncodedPasswords().size() );
            //modified sublist start index as the previous value results to
nothing being added to the list.
            List<String> sublist =
user.getPreviousEncodedPasswords().subList( 0, *oldCount *);

Also, in the process of copying derbydb/ folder to/from my workstation and
forcing the password change by editing the database, the permissions on the
files/folders were inadvertently modified to root:root, effectively making
the database read only to the tomcat user so no updates would stick.

I do have another issue with changing other user settings where it forces
me to enter the password...but I'll start another thread ;-).

--
Jeff Vincent
predato...@gmail.com