Thanks. I tried something similar before (see
http://www.mail-archive.com/users@archiva.apache.org/msg02910.html) by
creating a ~/.m2/security.properties file, but I set
security.policy.password.previous.count to -1. Maybe zero will work for me
this time.

Frankly, I'm not familiar enough with the nits of Archiva administration to
follow you on your fix. I am not running  Archiva under Tomcat but simply
starting it on port 8080:

$ cd /opt/apache-archiva-2.2.0
$ nohup bin/archiva console start &

I may be stuck rebuilding it (or switching to Nexus).

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 6:32 PM, Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de>
wrote:

> Hi Thad,
>
> Thad Humphries wrote:
>
> > Despite earlier efforts to get Archiva to stop requiring password reset,
> > it's done it again. Now neither user nor admin can get in and the "Reset
> > Password" button seems to do nothing.
> >
> > How can I clear the old passwords and reset the admin and users? Or (as
> > done at least once before) must I blow it all away an reinstall?
> >
> > Can't this "feature" be disable? There is *at most* only two of using
> > this.
>
> I had also a very annoying fight with this and I am only one. I found
> finally a location to turn the expiration off (at least I hope so):
>
> ================ %< ===============
> $ sudo cat /var/lib/archiva/security.properties
> security.policy.password.previous.count=0
> security.policy.password.expiration.enabled=false
> ================ %< ===============
>
> However, I was in the same situation as you and I finally created a new DB
> for the Archiva users, configured Archiva to use that one instead and let
> it
> recreate an admin and guest user (note, you have to turn off password
> expiration before). Then I exported the two JDOUSER* tables, dropped
> anything in these tables of the original DB and imported the data. After
> that I configured Archiva to use the original User DB again. Now I could
> login as admin again and was able to recreated my user.
>
> Note: Always shut down Tomcat before you change something in the DB.
>
> Hope this works for you also.
>
> Cheers,
> Jörg

Marlowe, *Doctor Faustus* (v. 121-24)