Hello,

Sorry for my late response. (vacation followed by other priorities at work)
After we finaly went back to configuring the archiva instance, it no longer
started.

We re-did the configuration.
Currently we have a setup as follows:
* UserManager(s) chosen
    * LDAP User Manager
    * Database User Manager
* RbacManager(s) chosen
    * LDAP RBac Manager
    * Database RBac Manager

As additional configuration we changed the property "redback.default.guest" to
"archivaguest" instead of "guest"
After this change, we no longer have the problem of the guest user being
updated.
We assume the problem was caused because our LDAP had a user named "guest"
which caused it to overwrite the config we had for the guestuser.

We were able to assign roles to LDAP groups.

There are still a few minor issues that we have:

* when starting the application when not logged on: "Unable to find principal
archivaguest"
      This is probably caused because we changed the redback.default.guest
property.
      Is there a configuration we can do to prevent this message.

* when trying to find a user, it only loads exactly 1000 users from our LDAP
system. When the user is not among those 1000, you can't go to the user to
check the effective roles of the user. Is this a hard maximum or is this a
setting that can be changed? (applying the LDAP group to a user not in this
list still works)

Regards,
Stefaan Dutry